This is a 3-hour CalibrePLUS online training course delivered via Webex©
Navigating domestic dispute calls is notoriously dangerous for police officers who find themselves thrust into volatile confrontations, often played out in tactically challenging settings and characterized by violent outbursts, extreme emotion and unpredictable behavior. In fact, 30% – 40% of line of duty deaths occur while responding to domestic dispute calls.
Instructor Lt. Kelly DeVoll has expertly designed this course to be realistic, practical and immediately applicable. He approaches the many unknowns involved with these calls from a position of experience. He dynamically explores everything from irrational shifts in thinking officers often witness when victims suddenly transition from thanking officers for removing an assaultive person to attacking those same officers for doing so to the unique threats posed during response, engagement and departure.
Lack of specialized training in domestic dispute response, like that presented in this course, can have tragic results.
This practical, experience-based course gives officers step-by-step training for safely navigating every phase of domestic dispute response.
• Critical overview: Understanding the dangerous dynamics of domestics.
• Pre-arrival preparation.
• Considerations when en route to the scene.
• Arrival on scene & approach tactics.
• Multi-officer response coordination.
• Dealing with involved subjects — leave, separate or arrest?
• Arrest procedures.
• Transport from the scene.
• Thorough post-contact reporting.
• Integrating social service & mental health resources into your response.