The First Amendment can be a sticky subject when it comes to policing. Where is the line between freedom of speech and criminal behavior? At what point should an officer transition from defender of First Amendment rights to an enforcer of the law?
Not knowing the answers to those questions can have major legal ramifications.
In this powerful new program, seasoned attorney Scott Wood will interpret the parameters and nuances associated with the First Amendment and spotlight how they impact police officers.
Among the topics Scott will cover:
• What specifically does the First Amendment protect…and what is commonly misunderstood about the span of those protections?
• What can officers learn–and what must they know–about pivotal case law involving First Amendment rights and violations?
• In addition to First Amendment rights-related legalities, what unique tactical issues should agencies consider when handling protests?
• What policy considerations must be taken into account to ensure proper policing procedures without stepping over the First Amendment line?
• What does the law say about police officers’ First Amendment rights?
This class is a crash course in contemporary leadership skills and traits. It’s essential to those interested in learning… and great to those currently leading.
Officer Rivera, Salinas PD, CA