This is a 3-hour CalibrePLUS online training course delivered via Webex©
Though policies exist that require intervention when witnessing inappropriate force by fellow officers, confusion, fear and established cultures are just some of the obstacles at the root cause of noncompliance. Those obstacles can destroy the lives of officers, departments and community.
This timely course examines those realities and dives into solutions that focus on creating an effective culture and establishing trusting relationships that will result in a willing compliance of these intervention policies.
This program is led by Calibre’s Lt. Jim Glennon and Attorney Scott Wood, both experts in the field of law enforcement and the legality of intervention. Jim and Scott will provide practical and powerful ‘best practices’ from policy considerations to training curriculum in an effort to produce a culture that supports and practices intervention at the critical moment it becomes necessary.
Issues to be addressed will include the following:
- The Three Stages of Intervention: Pre-event, Early Event, Force Event
- Involved Leadership: advice for fostering a departmental culture that inspires officer buy in
- Legal Liability Issues: Individual, Supervisor, Department
- Discipline or Training: Cultural Trust is Essential
- Policy Ambiguity
- How to Intervene
- Active Bystander: No Officer is a Neutral Onlooker
- Understanding the Nuances of Control and Force
- Failing to Train in the Intervention Policy & Understanding Force
- Thoroughly Reporting! Crucial advice for accurately reporting on an intervention event